Friday, October 24, 2008

False positive on the first post!!!

My 1st post on Google's Blogger wasn't what I'd expected! Google's flagged me as a potential spam blogger, although I'd signed up barely about 13-14 hours before. Filled up my profile, thought for a topic for my 1st post, but couldn't get one. So decided to search for some inspiration by reading some blogs which I followed. At last made up my mind to post. On hitting the "Posting" tab I got an error something like "Try again after some time". After numerous attempts in vain yielding same message I signed out. Today morning, I signed in and Guess what, I got a new message on my Dashboard "You are flagged as a potential spam blogger. We need to investigate blah blah..." something like that. I was quite bemused seeing the message that the filters classified me as a spammer. I'd read about false positives generated in Information Retrieval, but not what I was expecting one.
I've heard how Google responds to bugs found in their programs, claiming them as a "Features" of the program! While at the same time their Engineers sit back and patch the problem quietly while their PR's are explaining the "Features" (for more information http://blogs.securiteam.com/index.php/archives/category/google/)
Hmm... so maybe this is just another of the product's "Feature" to keep out spammers! Remember??! Prevention is better than cure... eh!!! :D
One thing's for sure, even the most infallibles are prone to failure...

2 comments:

  1. Hi PointSingularity86

    Thanks for being a "Follower". This is a new blogspot concept which I haven't yet figured out.

    I to have suffered from the "flagged as a potential spam blogger" tag. In my case I think it was due to me referring to "subscription required" for one of my magazine articles that was then only available in hardcopy.

    Those unexplained numbers under your Photo may have attracted blogspots creeping anti-spam algorithm.

    Anyway welcome to the community. I'm fairly pro Indian and I think Australia, like India, will need its own nuclear weapons some day.

    If blogspot is allowing you to do additional posts I'm interested in commenting on them.

    Regards

    Pete

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for commenting Mr.Peter, I appreciate it. I too am pro-Australian, thanks to the cricketing ties between the two nations. :)
    About the numbers,I too suspected about that. Those numbers are hexadecimal equivalents(hex dump) of the text following the numbers. The matter, is solved I guess.

    ReplyDelete